Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tate=Cereal

Those of you who are familiar with my family understand completely the complex relationship that my family has with, our friend, cereal. I thought I would share "traditions" that I am now currently carrying down. (Brandon, bless his heart, becomes more Tate every day). As of this morning this was our cereal collection:
Now, it's not the shear volume of the collection that makes it so Tate like. In case you're counting it's 11 total (I had to throw 2 away). Oh no.. I can never come close to comparing to dad's 32 boxes in one trip size. It is however because each box was purchased at 18 cents per ounce or less, because next week I will need to buy more cereal, and because we eat cereal once, twice and sometimes (in Brandon's case) three times a day.

Having them all out of the table reminded me of my childhood (weird?). We used to fight over who got to read the back of the box. They used to be interesting. We built little forts around our place mats so we didn't have to listen to or see each other. And we ALWAYS had three bowls of cereal in the morning. Because, when I was growing up before you could have a second bowl of "sweet" cereal, you had to have a "plain" (corn flakes, raisin bran, rice crispies.. something with less cereal). AND when you're hungry, you need two and if you eat the plain you might as well have the sweet... after all you earned it :-) If we helped mom bring in the groceries, we got to have a bowl of cereal. And once we started seminary, we would not eat in the morning and then come home and eat a bowl.. it made everyone very upset. EVEN on Christmas morning we had cerial. It just came in those little boxes (we often took on vacation) to make it more special.

But, in case this wasn't enough...If anyone had any question that we are related to Nadine Tate this should answer your question:
We had ants in our cereal.. I had to throw two boxes away, which is kind of sacrilegious around here. I had to do something to save my friends... In my defense, I'm not mixing the flavors yet.

And yes.. I did raise my price per ounce limit three cents sometime this past summer.. food prices, you know.

6 comments:

Perkes Family said...

Ceral is perhaps my all time favorite food. I love to still read the back of the box, jackson and I fight over it.

Booya Grandma said...

yesterday i founda great deal on cereal. I was so proud of myself.

rachel v. said...

hahahaha!
I am speechless.
You make the Tate's proud! :D

Shurtliff Family said...

Hey Bethany! It's your good, old roommate Heidi. I haven't heard from you guys in FOREVER!!! How the heck are you? How's life treating you? I have been looking at your blog periodically and you guys are the cutest family! I love it. We started the whole blogging thing as well. Ours is shurtliff-family.blogspot.com. Hope all is well girlie! I hope to keep in better touch with you through this blogging thing. So far it's working okay for me. =)

Unknown said...

I love cereal. I'm glad to hear you had rules about the "good" cereal growing up, too. Ours actually was that we had to have a bowl of"cheap" cereal before we could have the "expensive" kind. :)

Mike and Allie Vedomske said...

This sounds like my family! My mom used to buy dozens of boxes at a time if it was on sale. We used to get the little boxes in our stockings on Christmas! I'm super disappointed though because they don't usually have 10/10 deals here like they used to in Rexburg!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...