Thursday, August 6, 2009

Throwdown Thursday Returns

I have now had a few people ask me about Throwdown Thursday.. and I have felt reasonably disappointing with myself (don't feel guilty if you asked me, I don't feel that bad). Basically here's what happened. I was supposed to eat my fruits and veggies (the recommended amount) everyday for a week. I failed :-( and I was too ashamed to announce to the whole world that I suck.

Did anyone do it, btw. I know it was like 90 years ago, but maybe it changed your life.

Anyway, maybe someday I will try that goal again, but today I have a new goal. It is actually something we try to do regularly, but why not try it for a week strait (with a twist). So here's the goal, ready? yay!


Every night before we go to bed, Brandon and I are going to make sure the house entire is clean.

I know.. 'are you crazy?!' But it's not so bad. I don't mean we need to scrub the toilets or mop the floor. All it means is that the toys are put away, the dishes are done, clothes are picked up.. ect. Basically that the house is in order. The twist is that it's the whole house. We have always tried to do just the living room and kitchen, but why not just make sure I put my blow dier away too.

I have found on days when we are successful at cleaning up downstairs before we go to bed, I wake up and am in a much better mood when I go down there. No one wants to wake up to a large pile of stinky dishes anyway.

I am open to advice on how to keep your home clean with out making it such a chore too! One thing we do that makes it a little more manageable is called "15 minutes" (I know we're creative). Just take 15 minutes and clean as much as you can as fast as you can. You'll be suprised to see how much you two get done. Plus Chandler thinks it's hillarious to watch us run around.

Who's with me?!

See you next Thursday. :-)

5 comments:

The King's said...

I know one thing that helps me (and I am not saying I am an expert here) is that the rest of the house seems to follow the kitchen sink. If it is clean than the rest of the house seems to be cleaner if it is dirty well then the house seems to fall apart. Hope that helps :) Can't wait to see you guys next week!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a way good idea! I hate waking up to a messy house; although I do it all the time ;) Good luck! I love your Christmas countdown thing :)

allisonwalkerland said...

I don't know if I ever did this when I lived with you but my mom calls it zipi di do da cleaning. Its pretty much your fifteen minuets but you get to sing the disney song as you go. about three times through fifteen mins are up...you sometimes go faster cause you are so sick of the song. I think my mom started it trying to make us kids excited...i suppose it worked if I'm still doing it years later.

Nick and Sarah Leonard said...

Hey Bethany, My house is not perfect but here are two things that seem to work for me lately. After I brush my teeth I get a little piece of TP and wipe all the surfaces in the bathroom that collect dust like the sink, counter, all flat parts of the toilet, and all the flat surfaces on the bathtub. It makes it look like the bathroom has always just been cleaned, and then when I do get around to deep cleaning it I don’t have to deal with all the dust and hair build up. The other one is I start the dishwasher every night before bed and unload it before I eat breakfast. Oh and we try really hard to follow the rule that we ALWAYS rinse our dishes and that only rinsed dishes go on the right side of the sink (closest to the dishwasher). The left side of the sink is reserved for dishes that need to soak, or for times when I don’t feel like I have time to rinse, but who doesn’t have time to take 10 seconds and do it anyway? Sorry this is such a long comment. I takes me forever to explain things. Good luck!

Cody Barnette said...

Hey! I think we're going to try that 15 minutes idea... Yes, we do visit your blog from time to time! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...