Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dear Daddy

Today, a lot of the country is thinking about New York, fire fighters, American flags, you know, the things that "nine-eleven" are made of.

Today is my dad's birthday.

Photobucket

My dad is a lot of things. Dad is smart, remarkably smart, kind to others, incredibly cheesy, frugal, and some what of a a cereal addict. What? you wondered where I picked up that attribute?

Today I reflect on his relationship with his children. He takes abuse that is admirable. I know "admirable abuse" isn't a common phrase, but his children have a tendency to mock and poke fun at him, and he has nothing but laughs in return. I am eternally grateful that he taught me this skill: laugh at yourself. Thank goodness I married Brandon who established his own personal "Larry Tate Fan Club". The club has two members, Brandon Barnette and Jeremy Castagno. This alows for a little ego boost for Mr. Tate.

Dad was always supportive. We kids could do anything. Anything even when it meant spending hours outside with a crying 7 year old trying to ride a bike, even when it meant coming to every swim meet to show support (even if he couldn't tell which swimmer was me and cheered for the wrong girl more than once), even when it meant driving me to school because I didn't like driving the manual car, even when it meant supporting me as I got married and had babies before I was done with school.

Dad was and always is generous with his children. The financial support from my father made that idea of getting married and having babies really a possibility. Beyond finances, however, his generosity is overwhelming. He is generous with his time, resources, and love. Always giving to his children in abundance.

So..

Dear Daddy,

I love you. Happy Birthday. In my book, 52 is still mid-forties. For you anyways.

Bethy

1 comment:

rachel v. said...

This made me teary- its so sweet. It reminds me so much of my own dad AND the summers I would spend with you guys. Happy birthday Uncle Larry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...